Example of an Immanuel approach conference by Dr. Lehman
What: At this conference Dr. Lehman will teach you through lecture, hands on group exercises, live session videos, and live demonstration how you can incorporate the Immanuel approach into your daily life and ministry.
Full Details below
Immanuel means “God with us.” This promise is the foundation of a growing movement of lay ministers and professionals who are using the Immanuel approach to deepen intimacy with God, discern God’s ongoing guidance, and resolve past pain. This method is based on current brain science interpreted through Scripture and proven by repeated applications over the last seven years. The Immanuel approach has been developed by Dr Lehman and Dr. E. James Wilder working together in close collaboration, and Dr. Lehman is certainly one of the foremost experts regarding this new, exciting approach to life and emotional healing. Participants will receive teaching about Immanuel approach principles and tools, they will see these principles and tools demonstrated, and they will then practice applying these principles and tools in “hands on” group exercises.
Who should attend:
- Christian lay people. Mature believers who already have some experience praying with others and who already have a good awareness of their own emotional and spiritual strengths and weaknesses will find that this conference provides teaching and tools for a huge step forward, with respect to both their own healing and growth and their ministry to others. Believers who would like to pray with others, become more self-aware, and begin their own personal healing journey will find teaching and tools that will be tremendously helpful in getting started.
- People in ministry. The primary objective of the Immanuel approach to life is improving the depth and quality of our connection with the Lord, and the Immanuel approach to emotional healing is the easiest, safest, and most effective method that we are aware of for resolving traumatic memories. Our perception is that the Immanuel approach to life and the Immanuel approach to emotional healing are perfectly suited for those in ministry, and especially for those in Christian emotional healing ministry.
- Christian mental health professionals. In developing the Immanuel approach, Dr. Lehman and Dr. Wilder have carefully integrated truth from scripture, observations from their combined 50+ years of clinical experience, and brain research regarding trauma, memory, and the neurological pathways for processing painful experiences. The Immanuel approach to emotional healing is also consistent with many of the principles and techniques from the psychotherapies with the most empirical research support, such as cognitive therapy, exposure therapy, and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR). Furthermore, as mentioned above, in our experience the Immanuel approach to emotional healing has been the easiest, safest, and most effective method for resolving psychological trauma. Putting all of this together, the Immanuel approach principles and tools presented at this conference will provide an ideal foundation for faith-based psychotherapy work.
- Note that this conference is not intended to provide intense work with people in crisis. Dr. Lehman will not be able to provide private consultations, individual ministry, or follow-up after the conference.
More about content:
- Lecture: Lecture explanations will be focused very sharply on providing just enough understanding context to enable you to be able to cooperate effectively and safely with the group exercises. Dr. Lehman’s engaging lecture content will be enhanced by Charlotte’s creative, beautiful power point slides.
- Video clips: Video clips from live emotional healing sessions will be interspersed throughout the conference, to provide inspiration, to build faith, and to provide real life examples of the principles and tools presented in the lectures.
- Live demonstration: After the first several steps of the Immanuel approach have been explained and practiced, a full session live demonstration will be included as an especially powerful way of presenting, “This is what a basic Immanuel approach session looks like.” Dr. Lehman says, “My intention for the demonstration will be to use only the basic Immanuel approach emotional healing tools that would be appropriate for beginners or for use in group exercises. I did this for the live session demonstrations at the Spring 2011 THRIVE conference and the September 2011 Winnipeg conference, and we were all surprised by how effective it was, even for resolving difficult situations.”
- Group exercises: Group exercises, where participants practice applying the different Immanuel approach principles and tools, will be interspersed throughout the conference. The exercises will follow a careful, steady progression, initially practicing basic building blocks, and then eventually putting these together into a complete (basic) Immanuel approach session.
- Note that the special Immanuel approach “safety nets” – the safeguards that make it possible for beginners to safely experiment with this method of emotional healing and that make it possible to use the Immanuel approach in group settings — will be included in the lectures, demonstrations, and group exercises.
Dr. Lehman will be presenting a LOT of material, with more content than you will be able to fully absorb and integrate during the time of the conference. Furthermore, there will not be time to provide a thorough presentation of the underlying theory for the Immanuel approach or to discuss all of the research supporting the Immanuel approach principles and tools. As mentioned above, the lecture explanations will be focused very sharply on giving you just enough theoretical understanding to enable you to cooperate with the group exercises. Most participants will probably be wishing for more time for explanations and Q&A. Therefore, you will get the most out of this conference if you do some pre-conference reading in preparation. The more you understand the basic concepts coming into the weekend, the more you will be able to see how all the pieces fit together as Dr. Lehman presents them at the conference, and the more you will feel fully oriented and confident when we get to the group exercise blocks. Our recommendation is to try to get through the first four essays on the Getting Started page at [www.immanuelapproach.com]. For those who already have copies of Dr. Lehman’s new book,Outsmarting Yourself, we also encourage you to go through the first six chapters of the book. If you are not able to get through all of this preparatory reading, just get as far as you can (start with the first two essays on the Getting Started page and the first chapter of the book). The more pre-conference preparatory reading you are able to do, the better. Also, for those who do not yet have a copy of Outsmarting Yourself, the first chapter is available as a free download fromwww.outsmartingyourself.org.
Example of Schedule:
7:00-7:15 Introductions, announcements (where are the bathrooms?)
7:15-8:15 Session 1
8:30-9:30 Session 2
9:00-10:30 Session 3
10:45-11:45 Session 4 (live demonstration)
11:45-12:00 Question and answer
12:00-1:15 Lunch Break (box lunches, on site)
1:15-2:00 Session 5
2:00-2:10 Short stretch break
2:10-3:10 Session 6
3:10-3:30 Long break (time to visit the book table)
3:30-5:00 Session 7
Hot off the press:
Dr Lehman’s new book Outsmarting Yourself, Catching Your Past Invading the Present and what to Do about It will be available for sale at a special conference price!
Web cam? Recordings?:
People have asked whether they can view the conference via web-cam, and/or whether they can get recordings from the conference. The bad news is that this conference is going to be less formal and low tech, so we will not be set up for web-cam viewing and we will not have recordings for sale.The good news is that:
- much of the teaching content is available at [www.immanuelapproach.com]
- Video recordings for a variety live session demonstrations are available in both full length and condensed versions (see the training videos page of the website)
- Furthermore, two of the new live session DVDs that Dr. Lehman is currently working on will be very similar to the planned live demonstration session, in that they demonstrate the basic Immanuel approach tools that are appropriate for group exercise settings.